Updating Webmin from 1.56 to 1.57 just hangs during apt

  • VirtualNoob
  • 06/18/11
  • Offline
Posted: Wed, 2011-11-09 12:53

Hi everyone

I know that there are issues with setting Webmin to start at bootup after upgrading to 1.57 in ubuntu 10.04, but I'm happy to apply the relevant 'fix' to get this to work for me. However, when I installed I ran into some other problems that I thought I'd outline for any other Ubuntu Lucid installations wanting to upgrade to Webmin 1.570.

I ran the package upgrade via apt-get upgrade webmin. The installation simply hung at the Setting up Webmin (1.570)... stage. After waiting for around 20 minutes it hadn't done anything further, a quick check revealed that Webmin wasn't running so I ran service webmin start which started the service successfully.

The state of my install was then that Webmin was running at version 1.570 and appeared to operational, but my terminal instance still said Setting up webmin (1.570).... If I tried anything with apt - eg apt-get upgrade it informed me that the lock file is still present.

If I manually rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock and then run apt-get upgrade I get E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem..

After running dpkg --configure -a I get the message ,code>dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0004' near line 0: newline in field name `#padding'.

A little further investigation found the the contents of the file 0004 where hundreds of lines of the text

#padding
#padding
#padding (etc)

and that there was a file called tmp.i that contained the same text...?

I removed these 2 files, then removed the lock file mentioned above. Now apt-get upgrade and other apt-get commands are working again.

Strangely, the one issue that I WAS expecting, where Webmin fails to start on bootup, never occurred for me!?

Hopefully this experience may assist someone if they run into the same issues that I have.


There's an issue that can

  • andreychek
  • 01/04/09
  • Offline
  • Wed, 2011-11-09 13:10

There's an issue that can occur during upgrades where the attempt to restart the lookup-domain process hangs.

While that issue will be resolved in the next release -- in the meantime, you may need to manually kill lookup-domain for the upgrade to complete.

-Eric


Cheers Eric I believe it has

  • VirtualNoob
  • 06/18/11
  • Offline
  • Wed, 2011-11-09 13:13

Cheers Eric

I believe it has managed to successfully upgrade to 1.570 - it is reporting that version in the web interface anyway.

I'll keep that in mind if I have any issues with it.