A GCE image is a copy of the primary virtual disk of an instance, which can be used to create additional instances. Cloudmin supports creation of new private images, but there is a catch - unlike with EC2 or other virtualization types, the system being imaged must be deleted as part of the process.
The exact steps involved are :
1. Configure a GCE instance the way you want, such as by installing any needed packages, creating users and configuration files, and so on.
2. Go to **System State** -> **Delete System**, and check the box **Leave virtual disk images after system is deleted**.
3. Click the **Delete System** button. This will remove the instance, but leave all GCE disks associated with it behind.
4. Go to **Google Compute Engine** -> **GCE Images** , and scroll down to the **GCE image creation options** form.
5. Enter a short unique name for your image in the **Image name** box (like `test-image-1`)
6. Select the original instance's virtual disk from the **Create image from disk** menu.
7. Optionally enter a description for the image.
8. Click the **Create Image** button.
Once the image creation process is complete, you can test it out by creating a new GCE instance from the image. Private images that you no longer need can be removed on the **GCE Images** page - because Google charges for image storage, cleaning unused images up occasionally is a good idea.