This one is one I'm stumped upon: ending up thinking it could be a virtualmin bug, unless once more i didn't see a setting...
In Site Templates -> MySql we have set UTF-8 in Default, and inherit from default template for other templates.
I would expect datasbases created by Virtualmin and by Virtualmin installers (at least the Joomla 1.5 one as Joomla 1.5 requires UTF-8, maybe scripts requiring something else could use something else, but for Joomla 1.5 it's needed) to create databases with utf-8 charset and utf-8-general-ci collation by default, so that new tables created would be utf-8 by default too (and not latin1-swedish-ci like now).
Interestingly the script installer of Joomla 1.5 results in utf8 Mysql tables. But any extension installed after that has latin1-swedish, which gives a mixture of collation, breaking MySQL queries and international text stored, which is less fun.
(Btw: needed phpmyadmin to see that as the virtualmin mysql browser doesn't show that)
I don't see where we can set that, as it's not recommended to change general MySQLserver global default collation from the default latin1-swedish.
I also only see a setting for charset but not for exact collation in mysql settings of site templates.
Do we need to set following ? :
For module MySQL Database Server: Configurable options: Character set for MySQL data: now Default (default what btw?)
But that seems only for displaying data ?
create sub-server, install joomla 1.5 into new database, then install any component with table, then take a look at tables with PhpMyAdmin: joomla core tables are utf-8 and the tables of the installed component are latin1-sweedish (and joomla installer DOES NOT specify the collation, so it's really the database default collation which is default latin-1 (as displayed by PhpMyAdmin at bottom of collations column of tables display table).
As those databases are created by Virtualmin, my conclusion is that the Site Template setting of Mysql of UTF-8 is NOT respected at database creation.
As usual, I might be wrong, so I'm not marking this as bug but as Support Request. Feel free to change to bug, in which case it's a major one, and fix should include fixing databases's default collation and possibly tables and rows' collation (ouch!).