Disabling lookup-domain daemon after Virtualmin set-up

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 12/05/2012 - 08:15
fuggi

Disabling lookup-domain daemon after Virtualmin set-up

Hi,
I'm setting up a new virtual server with 1 GB of RAM (+1 GB dynamic RAM) and thought, this is enough to run lookup-domain daemon and let MySQL be configured for a big system (1 GB). However, I ended up with about 850 MB of used RAM immediately after completing Virtualmin's post installation wizard. Which is - from my point of view - definitely too much.

So I had a look at the memory consuming processes and found lookup-domain daemon on third place. After looking a bit through the forum I tried to disable this daemon by
1. stopping the daemon and preventing it from being started at boot-up ("Webmin" -> "System" -> "Bootup and Shutdown") and
2. setting "Virtualmin" -> "System Settings" -> "Virtualmin Configuration" -> "Lookup domain for incoming email" to "One at a time".
Following the last step Virtualmin suggests re-checking the configuration. Unfortunately, afterwards the lookup-domain-d was running again.
Therefore, I started the post-installation wizard again, only - surprise, surprise - to found the respective option being already disabled.

Am I missing something or is there a bug?

Best regards,
fuggi

System details:
OS: Debian 6
Webmin version: 1.6
Virtualmin version: 3.96.gpl

Wed, 12/05/2012 - 09:16
andreychek

Howdy,

Just to make sure it's actually being stopped, you may want to run this command as root:

/etc/init.d/lookup-domain stop

The steps you described should prevent it from starting up at boot time though. And Virtualmin shouldn't, I don't believe, start it up on it's own for any reason.

-Eric

Wed, 12/05/2012 - 09:16
andreychek

Howdy,

Just to make sure it's actually being stopped, you may want to run this command as root:

/etc/init.d/lookup-domain stop

The steps you described should prevent it from starting up at boot time though. And Virtualmin shouldn't, I don't believe, start it up on it's own for any reason.

-Eric

Wed, 12/05/2012 - 14:51 (Reply to #3)
fuggi

Hi Eric,
that's exactly the problem: It was definitely stopped (I looked it up) and after the configuration re-check started again. This might be a bug.

Regards,
fuggi

Thu, 12/06/2012 - 09:32
Locutus

I'm not fully sure if Virtualmin might start that daemon back up by itself.

If in doubt, you can re-run the first-start wizard and there choose to not use the lookup daemon, which should properly disable it. To have the wizard appear again, you need to look for the line wizard_run=1 and set it to =0 in /etc/webmin/virtual-server/config.

Suggestion for the Virtualmin guys here: Add an "official button" to re-run the wizard, instead of having to fiddle with that config file. ;)

Thu, 12/06/2012 - 11:03 (Reply to #5)
fuggi

Hi Locutus,
I solved the problem exactly by re-running the post-installation wizard (albeit I simply started it by entering window.location.href="/virtual-server/wizard.cgi"; in the JavaScript console of my browser).

Regards,
fuggi