Wrong disk space usage

Today i notice that Vmin/Wmin show wrong amount of how much disk is used. I try to change the theme back to orig. one, restart Wmin, restart VPS but nothing changed.

Disk usage is 2.36 GB based on SolusVM but Vmin/Wmin show 32.94 GB. I try with "du -hsx * | sort -rh | head -10" and this is what i got:

1.6G    usr
579M    var
102M    home
60M     boot
42M     etc
8.2M    run
356K    root
320K    tmp
4.0K    srv
4.0K    opt

So its clear that for some reason Vmin/Wmin doesnt show real values.

Status: 
Active

Comments

Which page in Virtualmin are you seeing this on?

Diabolico's picture
Submitted by Diabolico on Sat, 08/22/2015 - 04:15

Main page e.g. System Information page. Tested with Authentic and original theme as i was thinking something is wrong with new theme but its same for both.

Could you post the output from the command df -h on your system? That is what Virtualmin uses to find free space..

Diabolico's picture
Submitted by Diabolico on Sat, 08/22/2015 - 16:01

/dev/simfs      100G  2.4G   70G   4% /
devtmpfs        1.0G     0  1.0G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.0G     0  1.0G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           1.0G  8.2M 1016M   1% /run
tmpfs           1.0G     0  1.0G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
Diabolico's picture
Submitted by Diabolico on Sat, 08/22/2015 - 16:29

This is from "du -xhs /"

2.4G    /

Just to mention on this server i have basic WP installation (frequently updated) and this bug pop out between last two updates made over Vmin but i'm not sure exactly when.

Diabolico's picture
Submitted by Diabolico on Sat, 08/22/2015 - 17:38

I think i found the culprit (from yum log):

Aug 22 02:11:50 Updated: 1:net-snmp-libs-5.7.2-20.el7_1.1.x86_64
Aug 22 02:11:51 Updated: 1:net-snmp-agent-libs-5.7.2-20.el7_1.1.x86_64
Aug 22 02:11:52 Updated: 1:net-snmp-5.7.2-20.el7_1.1.x86_64
Aug 22 02:11:53 Updated: 1:net-snmp-utils-5.7.2-20.el7_1.1.x86_64

I think net-snmp-*** is the culprit but i need confirmation for this as right now i'm stretching my knowledge. It would be great if you guys can take a look.

Virtualmin isn't using SNMP to determine the disk usage, it just runs "du -h".

There may be something else awry though.

Jamie will get back to you shortly about possible causes of the issue you're seeing.

Diabolico's picture
Submitted by Diabolico on Sun, 08/23/2015 - 08:06

After i slept over i managed to find the cause, looks like hosting company oversold the node. The difference in disk usage come out from the amount what was dedicated to my VPS and the real amount of how much of disk is left free.

I open the ticket with them and now waiting to see what they have to say. I will make an update as soon as i have more info.

Ok, that would explain it..

Diabolico's picture
Submitted by Diabolico on Mon, 08/24/2015 - 00:59

I can confirm it was the oversold node the cause for this problem. I heard for this before but never actually saw happening. Good i lost few hours trying to figure out what is going on. Anyway you can mark this ticket as complete/closed.