I have 3 Virtualmin production servers running scheduled backups to 2 office servers. They are all set up the same except each backup is set for different days, so they are dotted across the week randomly. Each VM instance will cycle, performing a full backup to both trarget servers. They are all set for 1am. They all work fine and I get the success emails from them apart from one in particular, which starts then just does not complete. When i check "running backups" it shows that one as still running.
As a test, I changed the schedule for that one to daily and after 4 days the job failed with "too many running backups - limit is 3". When I check the running jobs, I see the 3 are running. What can I check with this job to see why it is behaving differently to the others please? I'd also point out all this is duplicated for the Webmin config backup, which runs at 3am, and also the other two scheduled Vritualmin backups to the problem target also always work. This means I know I can dismiss FTP / permission etc problems. I make use of the %Y/%m/%d directory name substitution and the target directories are created. When the backup which is hanging targets the other server, the one which works, with identical params, it takes 2 hours. When I check the directory structure of one of these hung backups, I see the folder has been created and partially populated in alphabetic order of the VM host names, but stopped at some random point. It seems there is no log to check because the backup neither fails nor succeeds - but please correct me if I'm wrong there. Thanks.