No Sites via HTTP after adding DotDev (.dev)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mon, 03/11/2019 - 10:23
AMJones

No Sites via HTTP after adding DotDev (.dev)

After adding a .dev domain to my Virtualmin setup, I found that all my other domains were not properly responding on HTTP, they were all getting a 403 forbidden error.

When I checked the error logs for the domains, none had errors. When I checked the main apache error log - no errors. When I looked in the error log for the new .dev domain... yep, that's where the errors were.

Via HTTPS, domains that are set up with an SSL config/certificate serve correctly.

It seems like the new .dev website was being served for all port 80 requests. I had no content in that site yet, thus the 403 error.

My first thought was that the .dev domain had become the default website, so in virtualmin I selected a different domain, then clicked Server Configuration > Website Options and chose "Yes" for "Default website for IP address?". Restarted apache for good measure. No joy. Still the same issue.

When I check the new .dev (which begins with the letter S, for reference) in the Server Configuration > Website Options, I see "Default website for IP address? Yes (but only because it is alphabetically first)". Which is funny, because I have other domains that start with "D".

Just starting to really dig into the configurations, but this is a new one on me. Any thoughts on directions to look would be appreciated.

Mon, 03/11/2019 - 10:42
AMJones

I believe I discovered the solution as part of this thread: https://www.virtualmin.com/comment/805061#comment-805061

The .dev domain had been set up somehow with the actual IP address in the apache configuration, whereas all other domains were using *:80 in the configuration. I'm not sure how this happened, though I am pretty sure that I created the domain, then went back and added SSL capabilities to it, then added the SSL certificate.

Mon, 03/11/2019 - 10:42
AMJones

I believe I discovered the solution as part of this thread: https://www.virtualmin.com/comment/805061#comment-805061

The .dev domain had been set up somehow with the actual IP address in the apache configuration, whereas all other domains were using *:80 in the configuration. I'm not sure how this happened, though I am pretty sure that I created the domain, then went back and added SSL capabilities to it, then added the SSL certificate.