Quotes stopped working for no apparant reason

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 01/04/2006 - 10:36
AdamHolt

Quotes stopped working for no apparant reason

They worked one for a while according to virtualmin, then after a security upate they stopped working. The only thing I can think of is that a new kernel did somethng to the quotas system.

Suse 10.0 with latest security updates as of 01/02/2006 (I think thats when I saw the red ball and updated).

Might need looking into.

Fri, 01/06/2006 - 07:57
AdamHolt

And now there working again after a rebooot, I dont know whats going on with the quotas, but they seem a little flaky on suse 10.0 with virtualmin.

Fri, 01/06/2006 - 08:53 (Reply to #2)
Joe
Joe's picture

Sounds like maybe a bug in SUSE.

Virtualmin merely asks the OS what the quota usage looks like--quota enforcement and data storage is entirely the job of the underlying OS. Check to see if you can get quota reports from the command line using the command:
<i>
repquota -a
</i>
If not, then the system is not reporting quotas. If so, then there's a bug in Virtualmin or the Quota module in Webmin, and we'll need to fix it. Let me know what you find. I'll try to reproduce this on my SUSE test box, but I've never seen it so far and I've been spending a lot of time with SUSE lately, so I'm not too hopeful I'll find it without more information from you.

--

Check out the forum guidelines!

Fri, 01/06/2006 - 13:47
KevinRauth

Joe,

I noticed this on my systems and did the following.

repquota -a

*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/mapper/vg-home
Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
Block limits File limits
User used soft hard grace used soft hard grace
----------------------------------------------------------------------
root -- 131240 0 0 6 0 0
xxxxx -- 160968 0 0 6160 0 0

xxxxx is the normal user setup when SuSE was installed.

I then went to the webmin disk quota module and checked the quota it only showed root and xxxxx. The selection on the far right gave the option of enabeling disk quotas. I selected this. It then gave me the selection of disable quotas.
It still only showed the two users.

repquota -a

*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/mapper/vg-home
Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
Block limits File limits
User used soft hard grace used soft hard grace
----------------------------------------------------------------------
root -- 131240 0 0 6 0 0
xxxxx -- 160968 0 0 6160 0 0

Back on the disk quota module I then selected check quotas.

It then showed all the users.

repquota -a

*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/mapper/vg-home
Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
Block limits File limits
User used soft hard grace used soft hard grace
----------------------------------------------------------------------
root -- 132952 0 0 98 0 0
wwwrun -- 1588 0 0 254 0 0
xxxxx -- 296800 0 0 15130 0 0
ddddd -- 12456 512000 512000 1807 0 0
eeeee -- 54316 512000 512000 4046 0 0
zzzzz -- 3240 102400 102400 217 0 0
xxxxx -- 24200 102400 102400 1517 0 0
ddddd.ddddd -- 24 51200 51200 6 0 0
hhhhh +- 105124 102400 102400 6days 12932 0 0
mmmm -- 52788 102400 102400 4057 0 0
ccccc.ddddd -- 24 102400 102400 6 0 0

From the data it seems that the users added by virtualmin never got turned on or were turned off by something. The root and normal user setup by the system were turned on.

Wil monitor this for a few days and see if quotas for the users get's turned off for some reason.

Fri, 01/06/2006 - 15:11
AdamHolt

I also did a repquota -a in the terminial and got back:

*** Report for user quotas on device /dev/hdb2
Block grace time: 7days; Inode grace time: 7days
Block limits File limits
User used soft hard grace used soft hard grace
----------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxxxx -- 6006232 0 0 313310 0 0
daemon -- 1 0 0 1 0 0
lp -- 2473 0 0 21 0 0
mail -- 1 0 0 1 0 0
news -- 6855 0 0 238 0 0
uucp -- 1 0 0 2 0 0
games -- 9678 0 0 381 0 0
man -- 1755 0 0 999 0 0
at -- 1 0 0 3 0 0
wwwrun -- 154 0 0 19 0 0
squid -- 33 0 0 3 0 0
irc -- 61 0 0 6 0 0
ftp -- 1 0 0 1 0 0
named -- 5 0 0 5 0 0
gdm -- 1 0 0 2 0 0
postfix -- 2 0 0 40 0 0
mysql -- 21010 0 0 59 0 0
pop -- 85 0 0 2 0 0
mailman -- 17 0 0 3 0 0
ntp -- 9 0 0 3 0 0
ldap -- 1 0 0 2 0 0
mdnsd -- 1 0 0 6 0 0
messagebus -- 1 0 0 1 0 0
haldaemon -- 1 0 0 1 0 0
dhcpd -- 1 0 0 1 0 0
radiusd -- 1 0 0 5 0 0
privoxy -- 49 0 0 4 0 0
vdr -- 37 0 0 12 0 0
quagga -- 1 0 0 2 0 0
beagleindex -- 2310 0 0 152 0 0
nobody -- 25 0 0 2 0 0
xxxxxxxx -- 87 0 0 24 0 0
vscan -- 2383 0 0 3 0 0
postgres -- 25943 0 0 254 0 0
xxxxxxxx -- 285 0 0 89 0 0
xxxxxxxx -- 85 0 0 0 0 0
xxxxxxxxx -- 37 0 0 0 0 0
xxxxxx -- 69 0 0 0 0 0

Out of all this the x's represent domains, I dont know why it's putting a quota on the rest of everything though. After I did this I refreshed the virtualmin panel and it said that my quotas were working on / which holds mail and webspaces.